WSU Vancouver’s Business Growth Mentor and Analysis Program (MAP) contributes to regional economic development by helping small businesses and nonprofits grow and succeed while providing educational opportunities for Carson College of Business students.
- Since the program began in 2011, approximately 164,500 hours of pro bono consulting have been provided to more than 370 small businesses and nonprofit organizations
- 98% of clients recommend Business Growth MAP to their colleagues
- More than $17 million generated in new revenues fueled the local economy
- 98% of clients were satisfied with the product
- 25 businesses participated in 2022/23
Client and student testimonials
“The best thing about our MAP experience was the seemingly innate collaboration between the teammates. Each one had a unique strength the others didn't have, and they made that all work so very well. They started out really broad and narrowed the scope substantially to afford a focused analysis of our primary needs and wants.”—Growth Client, spring 2023
“The information the team needed to do their analysis showed me where my most important gaps were. The questions they asked that I couldn't answer illuminated my knowledge or decision gaps so I could see where the vulnerabilities are. All of this was done with a supportive and nonjudgmental approach, which was absolutely essential to the efficacy of the experience.”—Growth Client, spring 2023
“This course is completely different than anything I have ever taken at college. It has allowed me to utilize the educational, technical and communication skills I have accumulated over my college career and has shown me that I am capable of making valuable contributions to a business. This was a highly enjoyable, experience-building course that really helped me grow my work skills.”—Student, spring 2023
“This was the best experience a student could ask for and any student would be lucky to have this opportunity. It taught me how to be in the consulting role and speak and interact more professionally.”—Student, spring 2023
- Battle Ground: 1
- Camas: 6
- Longview: 2
- Portland: 2
- Vancouver: 12
- Washougal: 2
Kudos best project team winners
Outstanding Team Project Award Recipients:
- Battle Ground Healing Arts Apothecary – Growth, fall 2022
- Tonsor – Growth, spring 2023
- Washougal Times – Growth, spring 2023
Business Growth MAP is deeply grateful to businesses and volunteers throughout the community for their help strengthening the program.
- During the 2022/23 academic year, we welcomed seven new volunteer mentors to the program.
- In total, 28 volunteer mentors shared time and expertise with student teams, committing 100+ hours to projects each semester.
Without the generous support of sponsors, Business Growth MAP could not exist. Thank you!
- TwinStar Credit Union
- U.S. Bank
- Lisa Burkard, Riverview Bank
- Robert Benke, Riverview Bank
- P.J. Fisher, NW Loans at CMG Financial
- Ryan Hart, Port of Vancouver USA
- Bruce Jooste, Tax Law Associates
- Andy LaFrazia, ControlTek
- Micah Piippo, Intel Corporation
- Linda Reid, Columbia Bank
- Lynn Sheehan, Evolve Strategic Ventures
- Evan Strandberg, iQ Credit Union
Thanks to generous donors, Business Growth MAP has established a MAP endowment. This endowment ensures the future of the award-winning program by delivering a dependable source of funding, insuring the ability to prepare future leaders, help small businesses and advance the local economy now and in the future.